Go [north]west old man!

Yesterday, July 24th, at about 7:45am I cranked up The Traveler (Carol's name for the Roadtrek camper) and started my 3100 mile trek to Eugene, Oregon.  Partly because I hate the boring drive across Pennsylvania, and partly because Canadian campgrounds are so much nicer than those in the US, I added a couple of hundred miles to the journey by entering Canada over the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, returning to the US at Sault Ste Marie.  I also instructed Sadie, our GPS to avoid tolls so she directed me along New York's Southern Tier before angling up to Buffalo.  I Stopped for the night at Earl Rowe Provincial Park a bit south of Barrie, Ontario, about 500 miles along the journey.  Sleep deprived and thus exhausted, I fell into bed at 8:00pm.  I woke a little before 3:00 but told myself that, if I remained still I'd go back to sleep, and so I did - at about 4:00.

I finally got on the road after 8:00 this morning, my target - Michigan, my next stop - anybody's guess.  Twelve hours later, I pulled into Lake Michigamme campground - a commercial site with a discount for Good Sam members.  It's now about 10:30, dishes done, teeth brushed, and writing this.  Tomorrow I'm going to drain and refill the fresh water tank - I still smell chlorine from the sanitizing process even though I've gone through the drain and refill thing once already.

As I passed by Michigan's Teal Lake I spotted a pair of  cranes on the side of the road.  They were probably immature sandhill cranes or possibly immature whooping cranes (both have similar color then).  Way cool.

Time to get some sleep.

Comments