The Record's Forty Days

That's what my father used to say when we complained about too much rain. The past couple of weeks, with Hurricane Irene barreling through and now remnants of Tropical Storm Lee soaking our already soaked area, begins to look like we could approach that record. Roads west of the Wallkill River are once again inundated. I'm guessing that the village side of our road is also under water. We are the lucky ones. No need to detail the devastation upstate New York has suffered. Anyone who watches TV has seen it.

A couple of days ago I had a truckload of clothes and kitchenware, the leftover items from the Unison Arts barn sale, so I called around to local relief organizations to see where I could deposit the stuff. Every place I contacted was full to the rafters because they were unable to deliver the supplies, roads were gone or open to emergency vehicles only. I finally managed to get them to the Salvation Army warehouse in Poughkeepsie, which was also filling up very quickly.

It is still raining. The record's forty days.

Comments