On the Road Again, and a Quarantined Cat

I write this from Bristol, Tennessee after 670+/- miles of driving on our way to Patterson, Louisiana.  Tomorrow we travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama for dinner with my niece and mother-in-law.  I'll try to add an additional shot of Carol's former home post-tornado, tomorrow, but tonight let's talk about a town/city with an identity crisis.   Bristol straddles the border of Virginia and Tennessee.  One contiguous urban area with two distinct governments, one town divided by an arbitrary, invisible line on someone's map.  I guess it's no stranger than several other similar urban areas, except for the fact that both parts have the same name and, where other areas have a visible boundary, usually a river, this one seems completely arbitrary.

One lesson to be learned about Bristol, however, is that the bulk of the restaurants, hotels, etc. seem to be on the Virginia side.  Just a note to anyone who happens by and wants to spend a night.

Now about quarantined cats:  I believe I mentioned I was bitten by a neighbor's cat on Saturday, if I didn't mention it, there it is.  The neighbor hadn't kept the critter's shots up to date, and it apparently had an altercation with some unknown animal five days before it bit me, so we are waiting.  The Ulster County Health Department said to me that if the cat was rabid at the time I was bitten, in ten days it would be dead.  I wait now, until the twenty-fourth to see if I must undergo the rabies treatment.  I'm hoping my blood-brother cat lives a long and healthy life.  So far so good.  I'll keep you posted.  I feel a little bad for the cat, but not too bad.

Comments