Beauty in the Beast

Driving south today in my Miata, top down of course (and heater on hot), I saw a C5A military cargo aircraft circling Stewart Airport on a training run. Indirectly this is a machine of war, of destruction, supplying the troupes who are charged with prosecuting the absurd, un-winnable wars in the middle east. I was struck by the beauty of this impossibly huge machine slowly circling the field like a raptor lazily riding thermals as it searches for food.

The irony of a monster like that stirring images of the natural world in my aging brain, makes me wonder if those of us on either side of this ever-widening ideological chasm that is the USA could ever look across and see the beauty on the other side. Maybe, if we could, we'd begin to see the middle, the in-between where the realistic answers to our problems lie.

As old Will S. said, "'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished." Just sayin'.

Comments