Trying to Figure Out Cats

Our two nutso cats are having some sort of major disagreement - sometimes.  What I mean by that is I wake up with both of them on the bed, crowded against my legs, less than a foot from each other, but as soon as the house is awake there's a lot of growling and hissing and they refuse to be in the same room.  I've heard what sounds like fights to the death, but when I arrive to separate them there are no blood trails and no wounds on either animal.  Carol thinks it's a reaction to me being away from home too often.  Since I am their primary house servant,  that could have some truth.



A little cat background:

Zorro, the tuxedo cat on the left, was so named because of the black mask.  The other possibility was Bandit, a name probably more fitting since as a kitten he would steal socks from the bedroom floor, gloves from the basket in the hall, and hand towels from the linen closet if it happened to be ajar.  We'd find them, or trip over them, in various rooms of the house.  As he's aged he doesn't do that as much, instead ferrying a couple of small stuffed toys around, which I still trip over with some regularity.  He is a strange creature.  Sudden noises will send him skittering under our bed or to the basement, even noises he's heard every day.  He will amble into a room then suddenly do a one-eighty and run to the other side of the house for no apparent reason.   He is the one who will growl and hiss in the morning after waking in a position similar to the one in the photo.

Elvis has a birth defect that causes his hips to sway side-to-side when he walks, hence the name.  When I write at my desk, he is usually asleep in my lap.  When I write on a chair or sofa, he is usually asleep in my lap.  I actually place my laptop computer on top of him, a kind of live lap desk.  I've called him my dog because he follows me around, comes when I call, farts, and has bad breath (due to a screwy digestive system also from birth.)  He will try almost any food that he sees me eat, if I let him.  He is a yogurt junkie.  If I am having yogurt, I put a small bowl down for him in the kitchen then close my office door so I can eat mine without interruption.  Unlike Zorro, he is pretty predictable, not bothered by sudden noises,  content to be among humans (except small ones - he hides), and never a thief.

Okay - enough for now.  The older I get the more I realize that cats are like women: unpredictable, complex, independent.  They are survivors.

Comments